The Neil Muth Memorial Scholarship was created to honour Neil Muth who valued and supported perseverance and continuous learning. He encouraged his three children to be curious, to seek their own path, and to never give up. In his role as President and CEO of Columbia Basin Trust, he was a friend, a mentor and a leader, and he inspired us all to strive for excellence.
This scholarship is for people who have triumphed over adversity and wish to pursue post-secondary education. This is an opportunity for someone to demonstrate their individual determination, future goals and self-motivation. It is evaluated on merit and not on academic achievements.
The scholarship is awarded by the Muth family, administered by Columbia Basin Trust and made possible by the generous donations of family, friends, local governments and organizations. There will be $10,000 available to support two to four applicants this year.
- have graduated from or be graduating from a secondary school, alternate school or other institution that grants Ministry of Education-recognized graduation diplomas from within the Columbia Basin and the Grand Forks area.
- plan to enter into or continue full-time studies in a Canadian recognized post-secondary institution;
- submit a completed online application form which:
- must include a reference letter from someone outside your family supporting the application such as a teacher, social worker, sports coach or employer; and
- may include video (3 minute maximum length in mp4 format) answering the application form questions # 4-8 verbally.
Deadline To Apply
The Neil Muth Memorial Scholarship intake is now open.
Deadline to apply is April 6, 2020, 3:30 pm PT / 4:30 pm MT.
How to Apply
The application process is online for Neil Muth Memorial Scholarship. You will need to create an account. (If you have already created an account for a different Trust grant application, please use that account.)
The Neil Muth Memorial Scholarship Application Guide is a valuable resource for your organization as you build your application.
Stay informed! Sign up for our e-newsletter.
Donations to the scholarship fund are still welcome and can be made to: CIBC account 05070/45-51311 c/o Columbia Basin Trust.
About Neil Muth
Neil joined the Trust in 2005. He was born and raised in Trail, and was excited to return to the region from Victoria, where he served as Vice-President, Private Placements, for the British Columbia Investment Management Corporation. That excitement showed in his passion for and interest in every aspect of Basin communities: their projects and their aspirations, as well as the best places to ski, eat and have a cup of coffee.
Neil’s accomplishments as President and CEO over his 11 years were many, but his appreciation and respect for the Trust’s mission statement are what truly defined his service: by ensuring the Trust built and delivered programs with residents and communities; by seeking out and responding directly to feedback and guidance from communities; and by being flexible and responsive to community needs.
Neil passed away on November 9, 2016. He was 57.