A healthy environment is the foundation for a strong region. That’s why we partner with Basin residents and groups to help them develop and implement projects and initiatives that address environmental priorities. Our Environment Advisory Committee provides strategic advice to guide our support for environmental well-being in the Basin. Together, we work to conserve and enhance the natural assets of the region for the benefit of all.
View all Environment articles.
- If you have an idea that will strengthen environmental well-being, our Environment Grants could help support it.
- If you have an idea that will maintain or enhance grassland resources while meeting conservation, environment and recreation objectives, our Grassland and Rangeland Enhancement Program could help support it.
- If you have an idea that will help protect and enhance fish, wildlife and habitats in and around Koocanusa Reservoir and its tributaries, our Upper Kootenay Ecosystem Enhancement Plan Grants could help support it.
- We support four major Environmental Education programs in the Basin.
- We help groups and organizations (including the Kootenay Conservation Program) conserve land to ensure that current and future generations can enjoy the Basin’s biological diversity and natural heritage.
- We help protect and enhance fish, wildlife and habitats in and around Koocanusa Reservoir and its tributaries through the Upper Kootenay Ecosystem Enhancement Plan.
- We support the Columbia Basin Watershed Network, which provides information and educational resources to local watershed groups to promote conservation and sustainability.
- We support the Columbia Basin Water Quality Monitoring Project, which helps community-based watershed groups become better stewards of their local water resources.
- We support local and regional community-based projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to climate change impacts, such as fire, flood and drought. Our Climate Action Program is a three-year program that will provide funding and support for various types of organizations to carry out these projects
- If you need support making your non-profit organization stronger, our Non-profit Advisors Program can help you increase capacity, become more sustainable and become more efficient.
Evaluation of Community Water Conservation Efforts in the Columbia Basin 2009 to 2015 (2016)
Environment Strategic Plan 2014–2019
How we approach our work
Goals and objectives: Setting the stage for progress
Goal 1: Water
Goal 2: Ecosystems
Goal 3: Resilience* in a changing climate
Goal 4: Environmental education and stewardship
Goal 5: Environmental capacity building to strengthen communities
Program Coordinator, Environment