A healthy environment is the foundation for a strong region. That’s why we partner with Basin residents and groups to help them develop and implement projects and initiatives that address environmental priorities. Our Environment Advisory Committee provides strategic advice to guide our support for environmental well-being in the Basin. Together, we work to conserve and enhance the natural assets of the region for the benefit of all.
View all Environment articles.
- If you have an idea that will strengthen environmental well-being, our Environment Grants could help support it.
- We support First Nation communities, municipalities and regional districts through our Community Wildfire Program to provide funding and other support to help mitigate community wildfire risks, augmenting support offered by different levels government, other organizations and funding programs.
- If you have an idea that will maintain or enhance grassland resources while meeting conservation, environment and recreation objectives, our Grassland and Rangeland Enhancement Program could help support it.
Climate Action Program
The Trust’s Climate Action Program was a three-year program with a goal to support local and regional community-based projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to climate change impacts, such as fire, flood and drought. Our Environment Strategic Plan, which includes the goal of resilience in a change climate, remains current in 2020.
Upper Kootenay Ecosystem Enhancement Plan Grants
This program, created in partnership with the Fish and Wildlife Compensation Program, helped protect and enhance fish, wildlife and habitats in and around Koocanusa Reservoir and its tributaries in the Kootenay River system. This program is no longer accepting applications.
- We support four Environmental Education programs in the Basin.
- We support healthy, diverse and functioning ecosystems through the Ecosystem Enhancement Program, which uses a request for proposals process to identify and implement projects focused on enhancement, restoration and conservation.
- We help groups and organizations (including the Kootenay Conservation Program) conserve land to ensure that current and future generations can enjoy the Basin’s biological diversity and natural heritage.
- We support the Columbia Basin Watershed Network, which provides information and educational resources to local watershed groups to promote conservation and sustainability.
- The Trust’s Land Acquisition Grants support local governments, First Nations communities and non-profit organizations to acquire lands for public purposes including recreational and cultural values. The program recognizes that land acquisition may include the purchase of either land, buildings or land-based infrastructure. For more information email email@example.com.
- If you need support making your non-profit organization stronger, our Non-profit Advisors Program can help you increase capacity, become more sustainable and become more efficient.