Through the Trust’s past and current strategic plans, agriculture, and food production and access is a priority. The Columbia Basin Management Plan Strategic Priorities 2020-2022 identifies Local Food Production and Access as one of six priorities. The aim is to increase Basin residents’ access to foods that are locally produced and processed. Read about all the ways we are supporting the agriculture sector and objectives of the local food production and access priority below.
View all Agriculture articles.
- Agriculture-specific business advisement is available through our Basin Business Advisors program. A full-time Agriculture Specialist helps primary food producers with the business of operating their form. Everything from supply chain, to packaging, to human resources, to marketing and distribution and everything in between. This service is free, and confidential. Fill in the Basin Business Advisors application form or get in touch with the Agriculture Advisor to get started.
- The Kootenay & Boundary Farm Advisors (KBFA) program provides information and services to support and strengthen agriculture in the Basin. KBFA works one-on-one with producers to identify challenges, coordinate and facilitate connections with agricultural expertise, and provide producers with information and resources that support their farm businesses. This program is a partnership with the regional districts of East Kootenay, Central Kootenay and Kootenay Boundary, and the Ministry of Agriculture.
- We partnered with the BC Association of Farmers’ Markets to develop a Basin Farmers’ Market Trail, host its annual conference in the Basin in 2018 and support its Nutrition Coupon Program in the Basin.
- Young Agrarians support young agriculture entrepreneurs to start, maintain and assess the succession of agriculture businesses by providing mentorship and educational opportunities. In a partnership between the Trust and the Ministry of Agriculture, Young Agrarians administer the B.C. Land Matching program, which include the Columbia Basin. This program provides land matching and business support services to new farmers looking for land to farm, as well as landowners interested in finding someone to farm their land.
- If you need support making your non-profit organization stronger, our Non-profit Advisors Program can help you increase capacity, become more sustainable and become more efficient.
- Our Basin Food Producer Loans provide loans for working capital and equipment purchases to help food producers expand operations due to increased pandemic-related demand.
- Our Basin Food Producer Wage Subsidy Program provides support to primary food producers in the Basin.
- Our Farmers’ Market Enhancement Grants will support farmers’ markets in the Basin to adapt and respond to increased demand for local food and community interest while strengthening community well-being.
- Our Food Access and Recovery Grants will increase access of affordable, quality, local food to people in the Basin, with an emphasis on supporting those who are the most vulnerable.
- Our Food Producer And Processor Career Internship Program provides support to employers with retaining an emerging professional who demonstrates a commitment to a career in local food production/processing.
- Our Community Development Program can provide funding, advice and other resources to help you see your project come to life.
- If you have an idea that will maintain or enhance grassland resources while meeting conservation, environment and recreation objectives, our Grassland and Rangeland Enhancement Program could help support it.
- If your business needs financial support but isn’t able to secure conventional financing, our Impact Investment Fund may be able to help.
- See here for all of our funding options.
The Basin Food Summit cultivates opportunities for producers, processors and food buyers, and creates space and programming for growth, networking, collaborations and the celebration of local food. View the 2019 Basin Food Summit Final Report.
In 2018, the Trust hosted an Agriculture Forum. View the final report here.
Program Coordinator, Delivery of Benefits