In 2017, Columbia Basin Trust launched a three-year, $3.6 million program to help maintain and create new child care spaces in the Basin, train more Early Childhood Educators, and provide advisory services to child care providers. The Trust identified early childhood and childhood development as one of its 13 strategic priorities following extensive public consultation in 2014/15.
From 2017-2020, the Trust’s Child Care Support Program helped:
- create 436 new child care spaces
- improve 2,977 existing child care spaces
- certify and train more than 115 Early Childhood Educators
- support three Basin-wide professional development conferences for Early Childhood Educators
- support 101 child care providers through its Child Care Advisor