Recreation infrastructure and physical activity opportunities enable healthy lifestyles. We are developing programs and partnering with schools and communities to support sport and physical activity in the Basin.
View all Recreation articles.
- The Basin PLAYS Capital Improvements Grants program provides financial support to increase and expand the quality and diversity of sports and physical activity infrastructure and equipment in the Basin and improve accessibility to sports and physical activities for children and youth including those with mobility issues or disabilities.
- The Basin PLAYS Community Grants promotes physical literacy in girls, and/or children and youth with disabilities, and/or children and youth facing barriers to physical activity and sport by providing free or low-cost programs in environments that are inclusive and respectful.
- The Basin PLAYS Training Grants program provides funding for organizations to either host or to send members to an accredited training course to become a certified coach or official or enhance coach or official development.
- The Community Development Program supports the efforts of Basin residents to address community challenges and opportunities in the Columbia Basin Trust region.
- The Community Initiatives and Affected Areas Programs (CIP/AAP) are intended to be flexible and incorporate community-based funding decisions. The programs support local projects that provide additional value to Basin communities, and that benefit the broad community and public good.
- If your community event, celebration, festival or fair needs a small amount of financial assistance, our Sponsorship Program could help support it.
- Is your organization looking to rehabilitate or develop new recreational trails in the Basin? Apply for our Trail Enhancement Grants.
- The Basin Physical Literacy and Youth Sport (PLAYS) Initiative supports healthy lifestyles for children and youth, leading to healthy lifestyles for life. This $3-million, multi-year initiative works with community sports groups, schools, volunteer coaches and others to provide resources and support they need to help kids be more active.
- If you need support making your non-profit organization stronger, our Non-profit Advisors Program can help you increase capacity, become more sustainable and become more efficient.
Recreation and Physical Activity Strategic Priority
Goals and Objectives
Recreation Infrastructure Grants Program
Koocanusa Recreation Management Strategy
Developing Supports for Physical Literacy and Youth Sport
Enhancing Basin Recreation Sites and Trails
Recreation Infrastructure Grants
The Recreation Infrastructure Grants program was designed to increase access to high quality recreation places and spaces so residents could lead more active and healthy lifestyles. The program focused on the construction of new, or upgrades to existing, recreational infrastructure in the Basin, such as backcountry trail networks, swimming pools, ice rinks, curling arenas, sports fields and parks. In total, 153 projects were supported with $9.4 million in 42 communities over three years.
Detailed project lists are here:
This program is now closed.