Housing is essential for healthy and resilient communities. Through our work with Basin groups and communities we aim to strengthen local and regional efforts to ensure residents have access to housing that meets their needs.
The Trust supports a variety of housing needs and approaches in the Basin by providing capital grants and proposal development support and funding.
View all Housing articles.
- If you are a non-profit organization operating affordable housing in the Basin in need of energy retrofits, our Energy Retrofit Program could help support the upgrades. This program will help ensure existing affordable housing units are maintained, cost-effective, energy-efficient and comfortable for residents. The Columbia Basin Trust Energy Retrofit Program is delivered by the BC Non-Profit Housing Association in partnership with BC Housing. This program is now closed.
- If you are a First Nation community in the Columbia Basin wishing to enhance or increase your local affordable housing, our First Nations Housing Sustainability Initiative may be able to help.
- If you are a non-profit agency looking to develop affordable housing, we support projects that have broad community support, a building site, a target tenant demographic, an operating society and possible funding from other sources. Supports include:
- Proposal development support
- Capital grant funding
- Contact email@example.com for details.
Housing Initiatives Strategic Framework 2018/19–2020/21
Objective 1: Strengthen Social and Economic Well-being
Objective 2: Support Local and Regional Efforts
Objective 3: Support Indigenous housing priorities
OPPORTUNITY: CMHC National Housing Co-Investment Fund
OPPORTUNITY: BC Housing (BCH)
OPPORTUNITY: Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM)
Virtual Housing Conference Resources
Non-Profit Affordable Housing Operators’ Asset Management Webinar Resources
Affordable Housing Project & Funding Readiness Workshop Materials, June 5-7, 2018
Read more about affordable housing needs in the Columbia Basin.
Energy Retrofit Program
The Energy Retrofit Program, delivered in partnership with BC Non-Profit Housing Association, helped ensure that existing affordable housing units in the Basin were maintained, cost-effective, energy-efficient and comfortable for residents. In two years, over $2.5 million has helped affordable housing organizations complete energy retrofits like installing new boilers, insulating attics and upgrading lighting. In total, upgrades occurred in 935 units in 47 buildings.
Detailed project lists are here:
Manager, Delivery of Benefits