Please click on the topic heading to find a variety of resources related to non-profit operations.
Courses and Training
- Committee Terms of Reference
- Deciding Who Should Serve on Which Committee
- How Non-profit Boards can Effectively Utilize Committees
- Roles and Responsibilities of Committee Members
- Best Practices for Board Recruitment
- Building a Diverse Board
- Recruiting and Developing Effective Board Members
- Evaluating Your Board
- Creating a Board Members Manual
- Job Descriptions and Policy Templates
- Becoming a More Effective Board
Diversity and Inclusion
- Hiring and Performance Appraisal of the ED
- Executive Evaluation
- Performance Management for Executive Directors
Conflict of Interest
- Insurance and Liability for Charities and Nonprofits
- Risk Management Basics
- Volunteer Waiver and General Risk (HikeOntario.com)
- Volunteer Waiver and General Risk (ShuswapTrailAlliance.com)
Planning and Direction
Mission and Vision
Program Monitoring & Evaluation
BC’s new Societies Act came into effect on November 28, 2016. Societies had two years to update their constitution and by-laws to comply.
During that time, the Trust shared resources and educational opportunities to support non-profits through the transition.
Information on the Societies Act changes can be found here:
- The New Societies Act: General Information
- Law for Nonprofits
- Information for Extraprovincial Non-share Corporations Note: federally incorporated Not-for-profit corporations and Boards of Trade operating in BC have new filing requirements under the new Societies Act as well.