This program helps unemployed and underemployed people take short-term courses, online or in-person, that help them secure employment. This program provides up to $1,000 for tuition.
People that are self-employed, plus workers who need to diversify their skills to adapt to businesses that have modified their products or services are eligible.
This program also provides 75 percent of the training costs, up to $7,500 for a specialized training bursary where there is an identified skills shortage and high labour demand in the Columbia Basin.
- Agriculture Work or Related Certification
- Climate Change Certification
- Construction Certification
- Early Childhood Education
- Forestry Work
- Health Care Aide
- Heavy Equipment Operator
- Office/Business Administration
- Paramedic or EMT Certification
- Programming and Coding
Who Can Apply
You may apply if you:
- Are a resident of the Columbia Basin;
- Have been a resident of British Columbia for a minimum of six continuous months prior to time of application;
- Are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Are unemployed, underemployed (underemployed refers to working less than 20 hours per week or earning a wage that is not meeting an individual’s basic financial needs);
- Have exhausted all other fee support programs; and
- Can demonstrate a commitment to learning by contributing a reasonable portion of the costs associated with training
- Other eligibility criteria may apply.
You may keep applying for tuition support until you have used up the full $1,000 limit. After you’ve used $1,000, you must wait five years to reapply.
How to Apply
The program accepts applications year-round. Tuition fees are paid directly to the training institution.
If you are self-employed or currently working MORE THAN 20 hours a week call 1.844.427.1798 for further details.
If you are currently unemployed or underemployed call your local WorkBC centre for further details and eligibility criteria, see numbers below.
|COMMUNITY WORKBC CENTRE||PHONE||ADRESS|
|Castlegar||1.250.365.6515||1016 4th Street|
|Cranbrook||1.250.489.5117||Suite 210 1113 Baker Street|
|Creston||1.250.428.5655||119–11 Avenue North|
|Golden||1.250.344.5413||421–9 Avenue, Suite 205|
|Nakusp||1.250.265.3318||205–6 Avenue NW|
|Nelson||1.250.352.6200||203–514 Vernon Street|
|Revelstoke||1.250.814.0244||117 Campbell Avenue|
|Trail||1.250.512.3001||1499 Bay Avenue|
|ʔaq̓am||1.250.489.2464||7468 Mission Road|