You can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) for projects that will help reduce food waste by redirecting healthy food to Basin residents facing significant barriers to nutrition, especially children and youth.
Food Recovery EOIs should fit at least one of the following four categories:
- Increasing donations of perishable and nonperishable foods from local grocers and other sources (e.g., gleaned garden, orchard or traditionally gathered foods), and redistributing edible foods to individuals, families and community agencies, and inedible food for animal feed or compost;
- Integrating improved technology to create efficiencies in, or expand upon, existing food recovery programs;
- Upgrading infrastructure to improve operations of existing food recovery facilities, including transport, storage, handling, value-added processing, etc.; and
- Sharing and building knowledge in Basin communities about food preparation, growing, preservation and storage for children, youth and their families.
Submissions that include the following operating principles may be prioritized for funding*:
- Incorporate perspectives of people with lived experience;
- Increase children and youth’s access to healthy food and nutrition;
- Incorporate Indigenous perspectives and culturally relevant approaches; and
- Document lessons learned and share results with key stakeholders from across the Basin to catalyze similar projects.
*Review the Application Guide for the complete list of operating principles.
Who Can Apply
Eligible applicants include registered non-profits, public organizations, municipalities, regional districts and Indigenous organizations delivering services in the Basin.
Your project must take place within the Columbia Basin Trust region.
How to Apply
The application guide outlines the program eligibility criteria in detail and has been developed as a resource to help you answer the application questions. Click here to download the Application Guide and Worksheet.
The application process for submitting to this EOI is online. You will need to create an account. (If you have already created an account for a different Trust grant application, use that account.) Click here to be directed to the Trust’s online application site.
Eligible applicants should submit their EOI by January 31 at 2:00 pm PT/3:00 pm MT.
The Trust will be hosting two information meetings to review the goals of the Initiative and answer questions about the application, selection and contracting processes. The same information will be discussed at both meetings.
The information meeting will be hosted by teleconference:
Date: December 20, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. PT / 11:00 a.m. MT
Date: January 16, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. PT / 2:00 p.m. MT
If you have questions and can’t join us for the information session, call us at 1.800.505.8998 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.