Basin communities have told us that one of their priorities is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to prepare for and adapt to our changing climate. This is why we have developed a Climate Action Program.
The goal is to support local and regional community-based projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to climate change impacts, such as fire, flood and drought. This three-year program will provide funding and support for various types of organizations to carry out these projects
View all Climate Action articles.
Water Monitoring and Conservation
Climate Impacts and Adaptation
Policy Tools and Resources
- Ridesharing in the Columbia Basin (2018)
- Climate Action in the Columbia Basin (2018)
- Water Monitoring and Climate Change in the Upper Columbia Basin (2017)
- Get Ready! The Game of Home Hazard Preparedness (2017)
- Taking Action on Green Resilience: Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation Synergies (2017)
- Making Strides on Community Adaptation (2016)
- Illustrated Guide to Community Energy (2013)
- Indicators of Climate Change for British Columbia – 2016 Update
- BC Climate Action Toolkit: Hosts resources for planning and implementation, guides, funding sources, programs, training and more.
- Retooling for Climate Change: Hosts resources for climate adaptation planning and implementation, funding, technical support, key topics and more.
- Province of BC – Climate Change home: Access data, tools, policies, initiatives and information related to climate change and climate action in BC.
- ICLEI Canada: Provides programs, tools, resources and events to support local government action on climate adaptation and mitigation. Check out the adaptation library.
- Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium (PCIC): A regional climate service centre providing practical information on the physical impacts of climate variability and change in the Pacific and Yukon regions of Canada.
- Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS): Provides research and resources focused on positive approaches to mitigation and adaptation.
- Adaptation to Climate Change Team (ACT): Provides resources and publications addressing leading climate change issues and identifying opportunities for sustainable adaptation.
Resilience to climate change is one of the five goals in our Environment Strategic Plan.
Goal: Resilience in a changing climate
Enhance Basin-wide efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and prepare for and adapt to changing climatic conditions.
Why focus on a changing climate?
Our climate is changing: temperature and precipitation increases are impacting environmental conditions including glacial runoff, water temperatures, stream flows, freeze/thaw cycles, floods, droughts and wildfires. Together, these changes underscore the need to prepare for and adapt to a future climate that will be different than what we have experienced before. Building awareness, providing information, supporting science and developing tools to support mitigation* and adaptation* at individual and Basin-wide scales is essential to assisting Basin residents and communities reduce greenhouse gas emissions and become more resilient to our changing climate.
|1. Improve information and awareness within households, communities and businesses about climate change impacts, costs, greenhouse gas emissions and the economic, social and environmental benefits of energy efficiency.||
|2. Support communities to develop and implement climate change mitigation and resilience strategies.||
Communities are being invited to express interest in having the Trust host a community meeting. Over the next three-years, we plan to host community climate action meetings in all interested Basin communities. These meetings will help communities initiate new projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and/or adapt to climate change impacts.
For more information or to book a community meeting, contact email@example.com or 1.800.505.8998.